Lomi Lomi is an ancient healing tradition native to theHawaiian Islands. Lomi Lomi means massage in Hawaiian; this simple touch means literally “to break up in small pieces with the fingers”.. Originally Lomi Lomi was practiced by healers called “ Huanas”. This massage has also been called the “loving hands massage” because in Huana philosophy everything in the universe seeks love and harmony. The lomi lomi massage technique is done with long flowing strokes upon the muscles of the body. The massage is done with loving hands, forearms and elbows. Lomi Lomi does not just work on the physical body as Hawaiians believe that old ideas and experiences are stored in the cells of the body and can block the flow of energy. The long rhythmic stokes of Lomi Lomi can move this energy around. The use of lomi lomi goes hand in hand with spirituality and energies of the world connected to the body. The benefits of lomi lomi massage are innumerable, scroll down to the benefits section for the best reasons you should treat yourself to the loving touch of lomi lomi.
What to expect when I book a Lomi Lomi massage at Sabai Thai Spa:
Lomi Lomi is a wonderful massage experience for those looking for deep relaxation. Lomi Lomi massage is performed on a massage table with the client fully disrobed, under the sheets. This flowing oil massage makes the mind disengage by confusing it. This is done by addressing two body parts at the same time, for example the calf and the hip may be massaged at the same time. Although it is kept minimal, due to the nature of Lomi Lomi massage, there can be some exposure of the body, so those who are not comfortable with loose draping or who are first time spa goers, are recommended to try the relaxation massage or Thai Massage.
Benefits of Lomi Lomi Massage:
· Generally, Lomi Lomi is used to promote internal harmony.
· Spiritual Healing – When a client is brought to the practitioner’s table they are given time to open up their mind into a healing state
· Increased blood circulation – Massage to certain areas of the body promote blood circulation.
· Relaxation – The loving strokes of lomi lomi massage promote deep relaxation. The practitioners tune with the client’s needs and use this information to properly relax the body.
· Relief in tension spots – Tense muscles are caused by many reasons, among them, stress and muscle injuries. The lomi lomi massage technique of using loving hands with deep, gentle strokes helps relieve the muscles of unwarranted tension.
· Body Cleansing of the inside – Before a lomi lomi massage is given a client will be requested to drink an herb concoction. This herbal drink cleanses the body internally of toxins.
· Body Cleansing – Before a lomi lomi massage, the body will be cleansed on the outside. White Clay and salt are both used to cleanse the body on the outside. This helps increase blood circulation and promotes detoxification.
· Pain Relief – Because you are releasing the stress and tension of the body through lomi lomi massage any pains you feel in the body will be diminished.
· Use of Massage oil- Traditionally the massage oil used in lomi lomi massage is indigenous oils made from coconut. The oil is worked into the skin in a rhythmic method. Repeated rhythm also promotes deeper relaxation.
· The feelings of harmony after Lomi Lomi – The body will feel cleansed, balanced and more in touch with surroundings after lomi lomi.
Our recommendations for Lomi Lomi Massage:
When booking your Asian Blend Massage, there are a few add ones you may be interested in. Why not upgrade your treatment and start out with a Body Scrub, it will enhance the sensation of the Asian Blend massage and leave your skin extra smooth. You may be in the mood for an facial, but do not want to spend all that time. You can upgrade your Asian Blend Massage with an express facial, leaving your face more vibrant after your massage.
Home Care Products to use after your Lomi Lomi Massage:
We recommend taking home the coconut body oil to be used between treatments.
- don’t eat a heavy meal before the massage
- if it’s your first time at the clinic or spa, arrive at least 10 minutes early to complete the necessary forms. Otherwise, arrive 5 minutes early so you can have a few minutes to rest and relax before starting the massage.